The Breast Group of the Royal College of Radiologists was founded in 1988. In 2014 the Group became the British Society of Breast Radiology (BSBR) and continues to be recognised as a Specialist Interest Group (SIG) of the Royal College of Radiologists.
- Provides a forum for discussion of radiological matters relating to breast disease and breast screening, arranging its own annual scientific meeting specifically for this purpose
- Supports local and national initiatives for research into breast imaging and related topics
- Acts as an authoritative source of advice to the Royal College of Radiologists and the Department of Health on matters such as professional standards and training requirements relating to breast imaging
- Supports specialist breast imaging education in the UK by guiding the development of curricula, supporting training centres and offering bursary prizes periodically
- Maintains close liaison with other professional groups with interests in breast disease, related diagnostic practices and other associated activities.